New Year "Resolutions"

over 11 years ago

If you’re my age, you remember the days towards the end of the year when cartoons would depict the old year packing up his worn out-sash, long beard flowing, spindly, aged arms clutching a cane, just in time for baby New Year to come rushing past in his jubilant top hat and diaper – his new sash emblazoned with “197…” err nevermind. The times have changed but one thing we still do is create lists of “New Year resolutions” so that we can turn over a new leaf. The feeling of “new beginnings” is ripe when the calendar flips over to the new year and we assume that our list of good intentions (lose weight, finally organize the kitchen cupboards, write thank you letters to the in-laws, stop smoking, Learn Portuguese, work out 3 hours a day) will set us on the right path. The problem is, with this list of our good intentions, often we set unrealistic expectations for our progress and by January 23rd most resolutions are already forgotten or given-up and we add them to the list of other guilty failures and half finished projects.

This year, instead of writing a lengthy list of resolutions and finding new ways to pressure yourself into being the “perfect” person in 12 months, an alternate idea is to make a resolution each day (starting over each new day) to live as fully and presently as you possibly can. Don’t make a resolution.. do your best. After all, “drop a dress size” as a resolution might sound great but it also might be founded on what OTHER people think of you. Enjoy your life, make the most of the day, have a dessert, take a walk, value your health and honor who YOU are – just because! Be yourself and listen to what your body needs without thinking of what everyone else will say. Listen to your own kind of music, rock your own “style” and create who you really are in how you engage the world. Today I’m going to be myself Today I’m going to be good to someone (it’s surprising what a BIG one this is – being nice or engaging other people can change your life) Today I’m going to just live my life and see what happens next! (ditch the worry) Today I’m going to go take good care of my body.

If you do have specific goals, daily resolutions are miracle workers too. Remember: the expectations you set on yourself aren’t what create progress in your life – it’s how you feel and what you do in the moment that creates progress. An INTENTION to create something new, or perfect a skill can help you do great things! But take your time and form your intentions bit by bit with manageable actions you can take right now. Break larger goals down in to smaller daily “bites” Instead of the daunting, “Make a perfect handmade dress” start with learning a stitch TODAY. Instead of “Lose 100 pounds” just start with today and learning about good meal and exercise choices you could make TODAY. Instead of “Walk 25 miles a week” start with walking as far as you can TODAY. —This way you can keep going moment by moment and before you know it, you’ll look back and see your tremendous accomplishments with your goals attained. Sometimes an “in the minute” resolution works too; keep focusing on the moment you’re in.

If you live your life one day at a time, the pressure (and guilt) of resolutions need not block you. The New Year is a time of changing out the old for the new and setting our sights on greater abundance, more love, more success and happiness. Let yourself think of this like a big, white, canvas for you to paint on and get creative with… don’t let yourself get stuck with analysis paralysis or expectations (which are always about something other than what is going on NOW) get in your way.

Get an intuitive reading about 2013 today..