Runes

over 11 years ago

Rune Casting

Recently a good friend asked me for my take on the process of rune casting, there are many methods employed in this, but first lets look at something of the history of the runes themselves.

The runes get their name from the Scandinavian word “runa’ which means whisper or secret and as such the runes were for a long time were said to be the whispers of the Gods and as such were seen as being the direct communication between the tribe and the Divine.

Until the anglo saxon period around the 1-9th century CE the primary alphabet used was the Viking Futhark, the name comes from the letter values of the first five characters, and these were further subdivided in to three sub groups. At this time the runes were 24 characters but when they were exported from scandinavia to central europe the alphabet expanded to 33 characters in the anglo saxons and other tribes in europe.

The runes would be fashioned each time they were required for a reading, usually from a fruit bearing tree, they would be inked in blood and then after the question had been formulated the runes would be ‘cast’ or thrown on a blanket or into a flat bowl the reader would then read the combination of symbols and provide the answer to the tribe.

At the end of the viking period, as they were becoming christian, the practice steadily declined, until around the 10th century when it actually became an offence punishable by death. The runes since the last war have had a negative reputation because of their associations with the Nazi regime. In fact the runes are far more ancient than their ideology and it would be wise to put that behind us when we consider runes and their use

Now of course we don’t fashion the rune set every time we want to ask a question there are many different sets on the market now. I personally have some hand made ceramic ones, made in my own kiln.

If you are interested in knowing more about Runes, or having a personal reading, please contact me here, at Bitwine

David James http://psychic.bitwine.com/psychics/26248-davidjames