The-business-of-software: BitWine "Gets it" - Part II

over 16 years ago
alon's photo

Alon Cohen (alon)

239 posts

BitWine, Part II – [BitWine “Gets it”]

As I mentioned in my previous column, I believe that BitWine “gets it” – I think they’ve nailed the Instant Service Network model. Their website and software is well-done, and offers a compelling user experience. (I’ve signed up as an expert in the Computer Help Desk category, and fielded my first call today).

BitWine is clearly in its early stages, focusing on developing its technology, and (more importantly) proving that there is a sustainable business here. Currently, they don’t charge any commission for facilitating paid advice services. Once they’re more established, they’ll likely they’ll move to a commission-based revenue model, with a rate similar to other Instant Service Network sites (in the 10-20% range).

From a technical perspective, their software works well, and is well-integrated with Skype for voice communications. For payment, they use PayPal, which works fine, but can be awkward for first-time customers to set up (which is one of the problems with having to leverage someone else’s infrastructure). A session begins with either text chat, or a Skype call, and can easily be upgraded from the free introductory period to a paid call, billed on a per-minute basis. Although you can engage in a video call (through Skype), one of BitWine’s shortcomings is that they don’t currently support any sort of desktop or screen sharing. For any kind of computer-based help, this is a significant limitation, which makes it much more difficult to identify and repair computer problems. Fortunately, it’s easily rectified, as there are numerous screen-sharing technologies readily available. This is definitely something that BitWine should prioritize implementing.

Next – an analysis of the challenges facing independent players such as BitWine, as they try to establish the Instant Service Network business model.

Posted by Jason Garbis at 9:51 PM

Read all about it: http://the-business-of-software.blogspot.com/2007/09/bitwine-part-ii.html