SPIRIT SPARK FOR THE WEEKEND OF JULY 24, 2015

over 8 years ago
readings_with_nicole didn't upload a photo

Nicole Bowman (readings_with_nicole)

116 posts

Let’s speak with our ancestors today. They have so much to tell us if we are willing to listen.

The other day I was doing my hair, and anyone with tightly curled hair knows how long that process can take. These days I usually wear a head wrap because I like the way it looks and feels but on that day I just felt like wearing my hair out with a little curly bang.

When I looked in the mirror it reminded me of the pictures of Creole and “mulatto” women I had seen just a generation out of slavery. I can’t help but feel that the way I do my hair, the way many black women style our hair is a way of paying homage to our ancestors.

The women who came before us have so much to tell us and they are proud of us and the women we have become. Many of us are doing things they prayed for and in some cases never dreamed was possible for themselves.

So speak to your ancestors today. Look at old family photos. Especially those of the women you know.

Women are often the keepers of secrets and pass on traditions to the younger generations. Listen. They may have a gift to give you.

Love from Fes Nicole